Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Too Many Bands Sink The Ship!


Well, there isn't really a ship. But, there is however a high occupancy internet-operated vehicle called -- MySpace! A few now well-known bands have the networking site to thank for their fame and fortune. Catchy tunes and a MySpace page got so many bands their lucky break. However, that seems to have triggered a new genre of music: 'Internet Bands'. In this genre, you will find bands that don't have an actual website, just a MySpace URL; they're almost all unsigned and unrepresented by any form of management. It's the year of the D-I-Y bands! That's fine, I totally support the whole 'make it happen' movement. It's just that, so many bands are jumping on the 'DIY internet band' phenomenon at once. I literally get at least 10 friend requests from bands I've never heard of within 2 minutes of signing into my MySpace. Their speils are all the same 'Check out our band! I think you'll like us!' or 'We saw that you like Cute Is What We Aim For, we sound like them! Give us a chance!' I'm all for it, I'm all for checking out an up-and-coming band and every once in a while, I find something I really like. When a zillion and one bands are all saying the same thing at once, I find that I often feel attacked. They all seem to feel like they've found the formula, and I want them all to make it. If they make art that they are proud of and want the world to know how good they are, that's great! You want your band to become a brand, that's great, too! The music industry is mid-downfall and I understand that bands no longer even want to be signed. (A lot of people I know are trying to get out of their contracts.) Again, I'm all for the indie band out there making music without compromising their art and integrity for cash profit. (aka 'selling out'). In fact, I fully support bands who refuse to sell their souls to the major labels! Woo! What I don't support is the false gaining of fans. These days, people turn to the internet instead of the radio because they DON'T enjoy being told or force fed something that other people think they should listen to. When I get a message saying 'we sound like 'insert a band i like', I often find that this band lacks everything the other band had that made me like them in the first place. For instance, if someone said 'I know you like Rocky Road ice-cream, try this other ice-cream, it's similar' well, my favorite part of Rocky Road is the marshmallow swirl and guess what, this other flavor, while I did give it a chance, it didn't have the delicious marshmallow-y swirl that made me fall in love with Rocky Road!

Do you get it?

Try something new on for size:

Originality is key! No one wants a rip off of another band they like. If you're willing to take risks and do something brand-new, you're more likely to find loyal fans who will love you forever. Sure, if you tell people you sound just like All Time Low, you'll generate interest in your band, you might get yourself a few page views and a few hits to your music player. But, guess what - All Time Low is quality to their fans and you'll probably (usually) pale in comparison. Not to mention, these potential fans have probably gotten 24 more friend requests from other bands claiming to sound like All Time Low as well. Even if you DO sound like All Time Low, I'm sure there's something original about you that will entice listeners! Find out and roll with that. It will work, trust me!

I personally will listen to a band who doesn't claim to sound like another band, because I hope to find something innovative and something that hasn't been done to death.

Another tip:
Start your own trend! Stop trying to be the same-old-thing; instead be the next-big-thing! YOU should want to be the band that every new band will say they 'sound like' in a year or two! I only say this because I care.

Good luck to all the up-and-coming bands and next time you are online figuring out what to say to potential fans to get them to listen, try saying something they have probably never heard before!

xo
Erica

P.S. Yes, I brought back the ice-cream analogy. And, I really do enjoy Rocky Road!

Shout out to all the flavor-of-the-minute bands.

Photo by XKCD WEB COMIC

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha, I agree with your viewpoint. A post like this can be greatly expressed through The Rocket Summer's song, "A Song Is Not A Business Plan", which I feel directly points out the flaws in the authenticity of up-and-coming bands, like many on Myspace.